Sunday, September 13, 2009

An Intro to Damsel-Free Reading

Welcome to the Young Women’s Damsel- Free Literary Circle: a guide to alternative YA literature for girls! The goal of this blog is to provide young adult females ages 13-18 with fun and interesting novels and other media. Much of the literature targeted towards this age range focuses on teen romance. The goal of this blog is to provide something a little different.
The idea for this blog came from my new found experience with young adult literature, as a college student. I am in a class called The Adolescent in American literature that examines literature which has adolescents as the main characters and their experiences growing into adulthood. In my foray into this sub-category of literature, I discovered that many of the books heavily marketed towards teens were largely based on all consuming teen love. I felt, as a recently former young adult, that I would have been insulted as a teenage girl to only have one such topic to read about. So it is my goal to find literature that goes beyond “damsel in distress” stories and recommend them.

1 comment:

  1. Hooray! This is very exciting. I can't wait to read your posts. weeeeee.

    ReplyDelete